Please be patient with us as we make changes to the blog over the next couple of weeks! We promise to keep you in the loop with what is happening with Moby & Boney, but will be tweaking our appearance at the same time!
Last year, I made a pledge to blog more. Ha! That lasted a few weeks and then I just disappeared off the face of the inter-webs! I’m not going to promise to blog more now, because that will only cause un-due stress when it doesn’t happen. I will try to figure out how to get my instagram, facebook and blog all intertwined so it’s a little easier to stay on top of things.
A lot has happened since you heard from us last.
In April of 2013, Dixie was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoma. It came as a complete shock to us because she had her annual exam in January and was completely fine! After just having lost Brutus in December, we were not prepared to lose another of our pack! So, she started on chemotherapy and quickly went into remission!
In June, Dixie turned 10. We built a screened porch addition on the house where Dixie can often be found lounging on a wicker love seat enjoying the outside breeze with all the comforts of being on the couch.
In July, Joe and Miranda visited Gettysburg and Crystal Springs Farm outside of Antitem. If Miranda had been thinking sooner, a visit with the famous pooches of Oh Melvin (and Yo Jake) would have been possible, but last minute plans rarely work out.
Summer and fall passed quickly and we had lots of fun with the doggies and other family. Dixie’s chemo continued until mid-October.
Dixie stayed in remission until January 1. On our visit to the oncologist January 2, it was confirmed that her Lymphoma had returned. We were devastated as we thought we’d have much more time with her.
In February, Boney turned 9 and we had the family over for a birthday party. A good time was had by all and the doggies enjoyed a gourmet meal complete with birthday cake and cookies!
March is fast approaching and our time with Dixie is nearing the end. We are cherishing every walk we can get in with her and all the snuggles and kisses she will let us give.
Lately, I’ve been missing my big brother. I think it’s because mom talks about him ALL the time, like he was the best thing since
sliced bread sweet potato chews. I figured since she loved him so much, I’d try to be a little more like him.
Step one: beg from the table.
Step two: eat from Boney’s bowl before my own.
Step three: lay on the couch and pass gas (I must have done a good job because Mom thought it was Boney and blamed him!)
Step four: tuck my nose in behind the pillow (this was Brutus’ favorite way to lay and I can see why – I don’t even smell my stinky gas!)
I think I am doing a pretty good job impersonating Brutus, but mom said she loves me just the way I am so I guess I’ll go back to being myself tomorrow.
Do you ever do anything to make your mom or dad extra happy?
I know, we’re already a week in to the new year. But we’ve had a lot going on! I am going to set some goals for this year for this blog, for me and for the dogs.
1) Try to blog at least once a week. I love following all the other dog blogs that are out there and to me, they are so much more interesting than us!
2) Teach Dixie to walk better on a leash. Now that we are down to a 2 dog household, we have made it a habit to every morning and every evening before breakfast and dinner to go for a walk. However, we have one dog out front (Dixie) and one dog bringing up the back (Boney) with us between. Ideally, we’d like to all walk together as a family and be able to have a conversation. Wishful thinking? Perhaps, but we’re going to give it a try.
3) Take more picture. With one of us (Joe) having a profession as a photographer, I tend to think that we should have more than enough pictures to go around. Not true. And I’m still one of those people that likes to have more photos of everyone and everything than I’ll ever need. I think I get that from my dad. So, I’m going to try to have my phone handy to take all the pictures to document the things (and make this blog more interesting!) that I think we should remember.
4) Leave more comments on others blogs. I know how much delight it brings me when I get a comment from someone (there is someone reading this!), so I can only imagine that the feeling is mutual on the other end.
5) It doesn’t have to be all about the dogs. Granted, they are more interesting than me (at least, in my eyes), but I think I’ll take a cue from Our Waldo Bungie and Wayward Dogs and stray from the every day has to be about a dog scenario. We do lots of DIY stuff, travel and cook – so why not blog about that too?
So…consider this my post for the week. I now have 7 days to write another :) Happy New Year to all of you and thanks for looking at this from time to time!
Posted by Boney
Mom says I have a problem with sharing. I don’t necessarily agree with that. I just want to make sure that everything is in its place (my paws, mouth, or toy box) all the time.
Last night, I decided to show mom that she was wrong and I could totally share when I wanted to.
I decided that I would share mom’s pillow with her. Granted, she was using it first…but I feel like I gave her ample room to lay her head.
Do you think I was being too pushy? Are you forced to share with your siblings?
A couple of days ago, we were selected to receive the Liebster Award from our friends over at Oh Melvin!
This award is designed to help up-and-coming bloggers gain recognition. The ‘official’ rules are:
1. Thank the giver(s) and link back to the blogger who gave it to you.
Oh Melvin, we think you’re pretty darn awesome!
2. Reveal your five picks (with less than 200 readers) and let them know by leaving a comment on their blog.
This is where it gets hard for me because 1) most of the blogs I read have already received this coveted award once, if not multiple times and 2) I can only assume that you all have 200+ readers – you are just that fun to follow! I’ll try to share the love and if I bestow this award upon you and you’ve had it before, well – I apologize and won’t blame you for not following the rules.
- The Tails of Two Pitties
- That Touch of Pit
- Maisie and Me
- I Can’t Make This Stuff Up
- Dog is God in Reverse
3. Copy and paste the award on your blog.
4. Hope that the people you’ve sent the award to forward it to their five favorite up-and-coming bloggers and keep it going!
But if you don’t, I’ll totally understand.
Now…for the title of the post. I totally feel under pressure to mandate blogging nights for each of the doggies in order to keep all my new followers (I’m hopeful!) coming back for more. And I hope it goes without saying that Love and Six Foot Leash, Two Pitties in the City, Wayward Dogs, Our Waldo Bungie, Oh Melvin and the rest of the 20+ blogs that I check out on a daily basis (no wonder I don’t have time to blog myself!) know that you often bring a smile to my face. I’m passionate about my kids and I’m excited to know that there are so many others out there that feel the same way.
Posted by Brutus
Dad says we have too many toys. Mom disagrees. As you can see, we have quite a few toys and I just can’t decide which ones I want to play with.
My favorites are lion, giraffe and monkey. Mom and dad got me those for my birthday. No one is allowed to play with them except me.
Dixie’s favorite is squirrel. She just got that this last weekend for her birthday and no one is allowed to play with it except her. When mom and dad aren’t in the room, squirrel sits on the top of a furniture piece because Dixie is very protective of him.
The rest of the toys are Boney’s. He doesn’t like to share, but mom and dad make him. Sometimes when he is in trouble mom will close his toy box and he’ll have to go toyless for a little bit.
Do you have a favorite toy?
Today was a big day! I went to see Dr. Arbo for my Annual Wellness Exam and found out I had lost 8 lbs! (Mom asked them to weigh me twice just to be sure) I knew that all that jumping on and off the couch and chasing Brutus around would pay off!
After I got a few treats at the vet (maybe I’m getting too thin!) we went to see Aunt Betsy. I thought we were just stopping by to say hi since she usually comes to us for bath time. But nope – mom left me with her for what seemed like forever so I could clean and get rid of my minor case of the itchies.
Now I feel like a brand new pug just in time for the weekend.
Saturday is usually a “big” day for us. We like to get up early and head out to garage and estate sales. Today we did a bunch of running around, stopping back at home a few times. Every time we would walk in the front door, Brutus and Dixie would be on the couch waiting. Boney would be nowhere in site. We’d call him…no answer. We knew where he was – every time (4!). We’d walk back the bedroom and he’d be curled up between Joe’s two pillows, snoozing (and snoring!). He’s a very sound sleeper and unless you are right over him saying his name and/or shaking him, he won’t wake up. Joe makes a good point – at night, Boney pretends that he has trouble getting up into the bed when we know in fact that he has no problem at all!